Friday, May 10, 2013

IGN All: Sorcery! Review

IGN All
The latest IGN news, reviews and videos about video games, movies, TV, tech and comics
Sorcery! Review
May 10th 2013, 22:47

It's easy to lose yourself in Sorcery!'s text-based quest. Based on Steve Jackson's choose-your-own-adventure novels, it weaves game mechanics and fantasy prose into a wonderful, personalized tale. My choices led me past a pack of goblins and into a darkened cave; your choices might steer you north miles earlier. We'll ultimately end up in the same place a little too soon, but it doesn't matter – Sorcery! is about the journey.

The story is told through snippets of second-person text. These words aren't just descriptive for immersion's sake; they're descriptive in a way that informs your gameplay choices. Once, I happened across an old man in a tree who told me he'd been robbed and left to die. Was all as it seemed, or was he a convincing actor, stealing my attention while his goons surround us? I read that he was "thin as sticks, and dressed in dirt rags." I could have left him there, but the details led me to believe he was genuinely mistreated. When I climbed to help him – in hopes of a reward, to be honest – he retreated, probably wary of another mugging. I had to decide whether to go back down or reach even higher. Sorcery! can be pleasantly devious with its scenarios, but wonderful things happen when a game is brave enough to demand your attention.

Continue reading…

Media files:
s1-610x915.png (image/png)
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment