Tuesday, March 5, 2013

IGN All: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus Review

IGN All
The latest IGN news, reviews and videos about video games, movies, TV, tech and comics
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus Review
Mar 5th 2013, 23:42

"Ignorance is bliss" is a common idiom, but one that rings true when I look back on the games I loved in my youth. Take Gauntlet for instance. Ignorant as I was that my ever diminishing health was just a way to relieve me of my cash and fill Atari's coffers, I adored the game. Knowing what I know now, I sometimes wish I could have those tokens back. Playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on the Vita, I felt a similar feeling creep over me. Aside from its obvious flaws as a port, I started to realize that despite how satisfying the game's combat can sometimes be, it ultimately isn't worthy of all the magnanimous praise I furnished upon it just a few short years ago.

I say this because there was a time when I thought Ninja Gaiden 2's combat was so far beyond everything else in the genre that I was willing to look past its many flaws. I didn't realize, for example, how tepid the level designs are. Some stages suffer from pacing issues, leaving you to wander aimlessly, or fumble with clumsy platforming sequences while starving you of the series-defining action for long stretches. Others constantly constrict you to claustrophobic corridors and narrow stairwells, where the already problematic camera becomes a total game-breaker. Art direction is equally erratic, rushing you past beautiful vistas of Euro-Gothic castles, only to entrap you in drab basements and boorish sewer canals for inordinate amounts of time.

Continue reading…

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment